How Beauty Met the Beast - Jax Garren

How Beauty Met the Beast is a modern spin on the classic tale of Beauty and the Beast. It is the story of a young burlesque dancer named Jolie Benoit who is rescued from a kidnapping and near rape by Wesley Haukon (who goes by the moniker Hauk). Hauk is a badly burned ex-Army ranger who now works for a secretive underground movement dedicated to fighting injustice called Underlight. Jolie is the daughter of a rich media mogul who may be in fact be in league with Underlight's enemies. Jolie and Hauk have to team up when Jolie's niece is kidnapped by the same people who attacked her.

I enjoyed the story for the most part and both Jolie and Hauk were likeable and endearing characters. I enjoyed getting to know them and their burgeoning friendship was sweet and believable. They definitely have a spark between them, even though initially Jolie is put of by Hauk's disfiguring burns. The only thing I wasn't as keen on was the way in which the two characters initially met which I feel slightly cheapens their developing relationship.

I would have liked to have seen a tad more world-building as the background story of Underlight seems interesting but is not really the focus of this story. I believe this is the first in a planned trilogy and I will definitely be checking out the next in the series when it is released.